By Displaysense's Lucy Eagland
When it comes to storing your valuable items, floor standing display cabinets are the ideal storage solution. They are sturdy, secure and offer an abundance of additional storage space. They are popular with retail stores, schools, public offices and in the home thanks to the many benefits of display cabinets.
They come in a range of materials, finishes and sizes so you will be sure to find one that fits perfectly in the intended space.
Below is a display cabinet’s guide to help you choose the right one for you, your retail space or your home.
Wooden Display Cabinets
Wooden display cabinets are the most common type of cabinet on the market. Wood is naturally beautiful and warm and blends with any décor. These will usually always feature glass doors but may also feature glass sides. There are many different types and colours of wood so you will be able to find one that suits your taste or matches your styling. These are most popular as storage cabinets for living rooms.
Aluminium Display Cabinets
Popular with offices, retail stores and schools, aluminium display cabinets are strong and robust whilst the minimalist materials present a professional and modern feel. These versatile cabinets can sometimes be called a glass display cabinet as they usually come with four glass sides to allow plenty of light in.
Trophy cabinets can be used to display anything from artwork to antiques and of course, trophies. They usually come with tempered safety glass as these are popular for use in public areas, such as schools and offices. Lights are commonly included to highlight the contents and to keep everything safe, locks are commonly supplied.
Corner Display Cabinets
Room corners can be untapped gold mines for extra space. Designed specifically for use in corners, corner display cabinets have a lovely contoured profile and usually come with a front single door. They come in a variety of styles and materials.
When buying a display cabinet for your business or home, there are a few key things you should consider;
- Space- First and foremost you will want to meticulously measure up the area in which you intend to place the cabinet. Floor standing cabinets are great floor space savers and where possible, make sure to take full advantage of high ceilings. We recommend marking out the base of the case in the intended area to make sure that it doesn’t feel too cramped.
- Style- Nearly all display cabinets will come with glass doors to allow customers or visitors to view your goods but there are many different styles on the market to accommodate their wide variety of uses. The style can range from country home to industrial so make sure to keep the space in mind when deciding which will work best for you.
- Materials- There are a variety of materials used in the production of display cabinets but wood and aluminium are the most popular. There are many different types of wood used too, from veneered MDF to solid oak. The price will vary between types so keep your budget in mind when researching.
- Safety glass- If you are looking to purchase a display unit for a public area, you will want to ensure that it is made with tempered safety glass to protect yourself and others should anything happen to the cabinet.
- Locks- Many display cabinets are lockable to keep collectibles and valuable items safe from stray hands. If they don’t, you can quite often purchase locks to fit them.
- Lighting- To really show off your jewellery, antiques or glassware, many cabinets come with the option of lighting. LED lights are the most popular type available as they are economical and emit a bright glow with next to no heat.
How can I find the right floor standing cabinet for me?
The right cabinet will largely depend on the amount of space you have available to you. Floor standing cabinets come in a range of widths and heights so make sure to carefully measure the area where you wish to place your cabinet. It is also wise to make sure the floor is flat as this will help keep your display cabinet and valuables secure although some cabinets do come with levelling feet to accommodate floors that are uneven, so make sure to check the features and description.
Can I adjust the height of the shelves in my display cabinet to accommodate my items?
Many display cabinets come with multiple shelf points so you can adjust the height of the shelves but please check the features and descriptions for individual products.
Can I add extra shelves to my freestanding display cabinet?
You can add additional shelves to most display cabinets but always carefully check that the shelves are the right fit or speak with the supplier who will be best placed to advise.
Will my item arrive assembled or will I need to build it?
Most display cases will arrive flat packed as they are large items and difficult to ship fully assembled but we do offer a range of cabinets that arrive assembled. All items that require assembly will come with easy to follow instructions and fixings to put the item together.
How do I care for my display cabinet?
To maintain your display cabinet, we recommend regular dusting with a dry cloth and a mild glass cleaner to keep any glass crystal clear.